This is a semi-bake peanut butter pie.
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup of half & half or condensed milk
- 30 caramels (to be melted)
- 16 to 20 Nutter Butter cookies
- 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 8 oz of cool whip or other whipped cream
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and then start by crushing your Nutter Butter cookies. I do this by putting them in a gallon zip bag and then using a rolling pin to crush them until their fine.
2. Once crushed, combine them with the graham cracker crumbs in a mixing bowl.
3. Melt the 1/2 stick of butter and then pour into the mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly until the crust mixture will clump nicely.
4. Pour 3/4 of the mixture into a greased 8" or 9" springform pan. Using a coffee cup, force the mixture up the sides of the pan. Once you have an even amount of crust mixture around the entire inside of the pan, add the rest of the mixture to the bottom of the pan and compress with your hands.
5. Put the crust into the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. It will burn easily, so watch it closely towards the end.
6. While the crust is baking, begin melting the caramels in a small sauce pan over low heat. Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan to keep the caramels from scorching while they melt. Add caramels a handful at a time, being careful not to get too many in the pan at once or the ones on the bottom could scorch.
7. Once the caramel is melted and the crust is baked, pour the caramel into the spring form pan. You will want about 1/8" to 1/4" of caramel in the bottom of the pan. Now transfer to the fridge or freezer to cool completely before adding in the filling.
1. Start by mixing together the cream cheese, peanut butter and half/half or condensed milk. Use a mixer with the paddle or a hand mixer. Mix for about 3 to 4 minutes or until creamy smooth.
2. Add in the confectioners sugar and mix until smooth. It helps to sift the sugar first so you minimize lumps.
3. Using a spatula, fold in the Cool Whip until the it's fully mixed with the cream cheese and peanut butter mixture.
4. Once the caramel & crust is completely cooled, fill the spring form pan with the mixture to about 1/4" from the top of the pan.
1. Using your 2 cups of heavy whipping cream, begin beating using a hand mixer or electric whisk until peaks start to form.
2. Now add in 4 tablespoons of confectioners sugar and continue mixing until peaks form again.
3. Now apply whipped topping to the top of your pie.
4. Garnish with dark chocolate shavings.
5. Chill the pie in the freezer for two hours before serving.